To make a quince tart. Take quinces and cook them well and strain it and put sugar, cinnamon and strong wine thereon. Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin (1553)
* 3 cups quinces, peeled, cored, roughly chopped into large pieces
* 2 tablespoons cooking wine
* 1/2 cup of raw cane sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, freshly ground
* 1 pie shell
1) Place quince chunks into a saucepan and cover with water. Bring water to boil on high and then reduce heat to low and simmer. Simmer fruit for approximately 30-60 minutes (quince is sometimes difficult) until fruit is easily broken with a fork.
2) Strain fruit through a colander or mash with spoon to puree.
3) Mix quince mash, wine, sugar and cinnamon together.
4) Preheat oven to 350C.
5) Once oven is hot, pour fruit mixture into pie shell and place in oven. Bake for 45 minutes, or until mixture is bubbling and crust is brown. Let tart cool before slicing.